At BCCS we have a strong focus on literacy and numeracy and believe that all gifts and talents are God-given and should be developed in a way which is pleasing to Him.
We have a robust learning support program with learning support officers and comprehensive individual learning programs for students who require extra support.
BCCS seeks to facilitate a life-long love of learning by creating targeted programs, maximising learning engagement and fostering student ownership of learning.
- English develops speaking with story-telling, discussions, role play; writing and reading through narratives, reports, procedures, argument, explanations; and viewing
- IT is designed for all students in Kindergarten to Year 6 with all students using one-to-one Chromebook devices as tools for learning
- Science & Technology involve hands-on and inquiry-based teaching methods, designed to foster an appreciation of God’s creation and an awareness of human endeavours
- Mathematics focuses on relevant, everyday problems and the application of learning strategies, including number facts and tables
- Specialist lessons in Music, Visual Arts, Chinese and Personal Development and Health and Physical Education
- Human Society and Its Environment is designed to develop responsible and caring citizens. Through questioning, thinking critically, solving problems and making decisions, students also deepen their wonder and curiosity about the world.
The aim of the History syllabus is to stimulate students’ interest in and enjoyment of exploring the past, to develop a critical understanding of the past and its impact on the present, to develop the critical skills of historical inquiry and to enable students to participate as active, informed and responsible citizens.
The aim of Geography is to stimulate students’ interest in and engagement with the world. Through geographical inquiry they develop an understanding of the interactions between people, places and environments across a range of scales in order to become informed, responsible and active citizens.
The study of PDHPE aims to enable students to develop the knowledge, understanding, skills, values and attitudes required to lead and promote healthy, safe and active lives.
At BCCS students also regularly enjoy an array of sporting activities including annual swimming and cricket programs plus blocks of other physical education programs such as gymnastics and basketball.
BCCS also holds annual swimming, athletics and cross country carnivals.
Through studying Science and Technology students explore scientific and technological concepts and gain knowledge and understanding of the world. They develop skills in conducting scientific investigations and designing and producing solutions through learning about the Living World, Material World, Physical World, Earth and Space, and Digital Technologies.
At BCCS, all students have access to individual Chromebooks and engage with drones and robotics, learning basic coding and programming skills.
Study in the Creative Arts provides students with strong discipline based knowledge and the fundamental skills, creative expertise, learning mindset and critical capabilities for the future world of work. Creative Arts students experience and develop the complex skills required to create and test ideas, generate creative works with confidence, shape inquiry and critically evaluate and reflect on what they do. Study in the Creative Arts prepares students to be significant producers and informed consumers of culture.
At BCCS, students engage with Music, Visual Art programs. They also engage in Drama and Dance lessons throughout the year.